Georgia and George will analyze advertisments found in Cosmo and Maxim.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Positive Depictions of Men in Maxim!?!



George – When looking at all of the ads in Maxim featuring men, the majority of ads include gender stereotypes. I found one that did not include very many. The ad is for the army and features a white man and a black man. These men are fully geared up in their army gear. The men are successful in their quest and are getting themselves through college.

Georgia – I think there are still many gender stereotypes in this ad. Firstly, there are two woman amoung 6 men throughout the ad. This can be justified since the majority of people in the army are men but should women be discouraged by being out numbered?
Secondly, these men are “true men” fighting for their country. They are tough, strong, emotionally shallow men. Those are the connotations that the ad shows.


George – It is one of the few ads that include both Caucasian and African-American men.

Georgia – That’s also stereotypical because more African-Americans join the Army to get through college and escape poverty which strikes African-Americans much more than the ideal Caucasian.

George – I guess every advertisement we’ve looked at has its down sides and stereotypical depictions of men and women. The most positive ad so far was the SUCCESS Snickers ad both in Maxim and Cosmo. By positive I mean that it creates a good role model or ideal depiction of a person.


Georgia – The last two posts I plan to include many advertisements selected to display the ‘average’ type of ad of men and women in both Maxim and Cosmo.

George - One more thing! It is important to note that Maxim contains many more ads featuring just the product without a person within the ad. This is positive because it sells its product directly instead of through beauty or desireable bodies. Also, when I looked at all the Cosmo ads, there wasn't one positively represented, non-stereotypical male in the advertisments!I have included an example of an MP3 Player. Products can be sold on their own without selling hot bodies in order to make the product desireable.



Georgia - It is interesting to see these types of ads much more commonly in Maxim. I guess it speaks largely for women and the trap they are contained within in the beauty market today. Anything and everything can be sold through beauty but its not necessarily the right way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home